Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I-205 Solar Project Site Considered | City of Oregon City

I-205 Solar Project Site Considered | City of Oregon City:
"Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski has announced that having completed the first solar highway project in the nation at the I-5/I-205 interchange, Oregon now looks to build the largest solar highway project in the world – one that would exceed a 2.8 megawatt project announced recently for Germany.

A “solar highway” generates electricity from solar panels during the day to power highway lighting at night. The unused ODOT rest area off of I-205 in West Linn is one potential site under consideration for "the world's largest solar highway project."

Project Size:
3 megawatts (3.2 million kilowatt hours/year – about one-sixth of ODOT’s needs in PGE’s service area)

Project Cost:
$20 million

Estimated Employment:
140 to 150 direct and indirect jobs

Potential Start Date:
The project could begin as early as late summer 2009."

No comments: