Monday, December 22, 2008

Good Green Cars · Electric Cars OK in Winter

Good Green Cars · Electric Cars OK in Winter: "In honor of what seems to be a national snow day (I don’t even want to hear from my in-laws in southern Florida right now), I wondered how the EVs of the world were faring in cold, icy, and snowy conditions. Again, I turned to the helpful members of the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association to answer my questions.

A few of the problems with EVs in winter:

* Some, especially conversions, don’t have a heater
* The locks on older cars used for conversions can freeze up
* Lead acid batteries left in the cold lose 10-20% of their range

A few benefits of EVs in winter:

* They don’t have to warm up - “instant on” no matter the temperature
* Newer lithium, NiCd, and NiMH batteries lose less power than older lead batteries
* All batteries can be charged in a toasty garage with minimal power loss"

No comments: